Every Born-Again Believer has a Ministry. COLOSSIANS 4: 17 declares:
“Take heed to the ministry, which you received in the Lord, that you fulfil it.”
My friend, I am declaring to you on the authority of God’s Word that you are called and anointed, and He wants to fulfil the ministry He has given to you!
The Word of God commands you in II PETER 1: 10 to make your calling sure:
Wherefore the rather, brothers, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, you shall never fall.”
Your calling is the ministry God calls you into, and your election is your personal relationship with God. Someday we will stand before God and give an answer for everything
we have done for Him. You and I have a tremendous responsibility because the Lord Jesus declared: “As the Father has sent me, so send I you.”
1. You Must Use What You Are Given
In the parable of the talents recorded in MATTHEW 25: 14-30, Scripture speaks of the master of a certain
household who was going on a long journey. Prior to his departure, he called his servants and divided his goods among them. Goods are symbolic of authority, so he actually turned over his authority to
them. He gave a different number of talents to each servant, each man according to his own ability.
When the master returned, he called us servants to account for the goods with which they had been entrusted. All the men had doubled their talents except for the man who had
received just one. Instead of investing his talent, Scripture tells us he hid it. This servant was:
* Unfaithful because he was fearful and didn’t invest his talent.
* Ungrateful because he didn’t care enough to use what he was given.
* Unjust in hiding his talent because he didn’t admit to his master about it.
* Fault-finding for later he accused the master of being a hard man.
* Self-justifying, blaming the master for his failure.
When God calls you, He equips you with gifts according to your ability.
He doesn’t expect you to do any more than you are gifted to do, but He gives you the abilities you need to do the job as the God’s Word declares in I PETER 4: 11 -
“If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister,
let him do it as of the ability which God gives: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever.
2. You Must be Faithful to Serve
Ability is not enough, however. You must be faithful over what you are given.
I would rather have a faithful man than an able man. In II TIMOTHY 2: 2, Paul admonishes Timothy to seek for faithful men. Remember you can always make a faithful man able,
but you can’t make an able man faithful.
A faithful man is a willing servant.
When Joshua first started in ministry, he served Moses. Elisha served Elijah. Later, both men became great
leaders and mighty ministers of God. I’ve discovered that many want to start out big, but ministry doesn’t start big... it starts small.
You can’t led until you are faithful to serve.
3. You are Called and Anointed
God called you before you were born: ISAIAH 49: 1-3 declares:
“Listen, O isles, unto me; and hear you people, from far; The LORD has called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother has He mentioned my name. And He has made my
mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of His hand He hid me; And made me a polished shaft; in His quaver has He hid me; And said:
“You are my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.”
Not only does God call you before you are born, He prepares you, making your mouth like a “sharp sword”
to speak His Word. He protects you in the shadow of His hand, and through trials and tribulations He makes you a polished shaft in His hand - an instrument that will hit its intended mark.
You are called, prepared, protected and polished - but you can’t fulfil your ministry without the
anointing of the Holy Spirit upon your life. There are three levels of anointing God has for you:
* The anointing that brings you into salvation (LEVITICUS 14: 18)
* The anointing that brings you into the ministry (EXODUS 30: 30)
* The anointing that brings you into spiritual authority (II SAMUEL 5: 3)
Every believer has been anointed to salvation and ministry, but not everyone has the anointing for
authority. God wants to move you into a higher dimension of the anointing because you need it to fulfil your calling. God has chosen and called you. And when you are a faithful servant, He will anoint
you and move you from level to level in that anointing.
4. Seven results of the Anointing
According to ISAJAH 61: 1-6, when you are anointed by God:
1. You will preach the Gospel of Salvation to the poor in Spirit.
2. God will use you to bind up brokenhearted men and women.
3. You will bring liberty to the captives to set them free.
4. You will proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord - which speaks of the year of jubilee when deliverance was affected on a massive scale.
5. You will comfort those who mourn, to bring them up out of the pit and put them back on the mountain.
6. You will build up old wastes - which speaks of repairing lives.
7. You will be called a “priest of the Lord” and eat of the riches of the Gentiles.
The anointing intensifies when you stay small in your own eyes (Psalm 51: 16
when you continually Seek God in prayer ( Acts 4: 29-34); when you partake of His Word (Acts 6: 4,7); and as you remain faithful to what you have been given.